If you were to acquire a new skill this year–one that teaches you to move smarter, protect your joints and restore skill and safety to your favorite activities–finding support would be the clear winner. Like a layer of nutrition that supports all your movement functions (from stability and flexibility, to balance and power), finding support is the fundamental skill that feeds all others. Proper support allows you to jump higher, walk farther, sit taller and stand stronger, and live your life with more comfort and efficiency. Without it, your flexibility freezes, muscle strength withers, and your joints take a beating.
Like no other movement practice, Feldenkrais® trains you to find superior support in every movement you make. Studying Feldenkrais will start you on the road to healthy function and make you better at what you like to do than you ever imagined.
In this workshop, Feldenkrais teacher Andrew Gibbons will introduce you to the core principles of skeletal support that govern moving well.
As a participant you will learn to:
- Apply the principle skeletal support in posture and movement.
- Use support to improve your balance and coordination.
- Distinguish wasted effort from useful work.
- Time your movements with proper support.
- Aim your skeletal support up and through your skeleton.
- Improve your posture from the inside out.
The workshop will include:
- Talk and demonstration with a model skeleton.
- Awareness Through Movement floor work and standing work.
- Portable practices you can easily incorporate into your day.
- Time for Q&A.
About the teacher: As a Feldenkrais teacher for over 12 years, Andrew Gibbons has worked with professional athletes, and world class musicians, as well as people dealing with injuries, discomfort and the issues of personal performance. Known for a teaching style that is simple, specific and down-to-earth, Andrew enjoys helping his students create clear criteria for re-building and refining their movement health and function.
- Dress in loose, comfortable clothing.
- Mats and support pads are provided.
- On Saturdays, the entrance to 41 Union Square West is found on 17th street, just west of Union Square (look for the gold awning).
- Where: 41 Union Square West, Room #409, New York, NY 10003.
- When: Thursday, Oct 10, 5:30 – 8:30 pm.
Audio Feldenkrais Programs with Andrew Gibbons