The Shoulder Program, Part 1
The Shoulder Program, Part 1
Create flexible, relaxed and functionally fit shoulders, arms, and hands.
Most of us have no “technique” for using our arms and shoulders in daily life. Instead, we arrive at a way that seems “good enough”. Good enough to carry the groceries, good enough to play a little tennis, good enough to do a few pushups at the gym. Over time we learn that our “good enough” technique simply isn’t adequate. We end up living with chronic pain, loss of flexibility, discomfort in bed, and a dwindling repertoire of activities we can enjoy unfettered.
These audio lessons will teach you, step by step, the Feldenkrais® principles that ensure your arms and shoulders will not only function at their best, but actually improve with use.
Track List: (MP3 format)
- Introduction (23:31)
- Sensing Muscle Tone in the arm & Shoulder (51:38)
- Counterbalance in the Shoulder Joint (43:10)
- Prone: Rolling the Head and Shoulders (21:05)
- Lifting Arm with the Pelvis (61:45)
- Pushing with the Hand by Head (57:51)
- Rolling with the Shoulder (36:42)
By working safely and intelligently with these principles, you will discover a superior way of using your shoulders and back for every kind of activity: from typing at a computer, carry things in your hands and over your shoulders, working out at the gym, walking and running, and artistic activities like dance and musical performance.
- Free your neck, back, shoulders, arms and hands from unnecessary pain and stiffness.
- Gain a clear, solid support from the ground in every movement you make.
- Understand how to access power in the back, shoulders, arms and hands.
- Study the 5 key relationships that connect the arm to the torso.
- Use your exercises (push ups, etc) to actually train for precision instead of willpower.
- Integrate your shoulders in better breathing and vice versa.
- Clarify what “ball in socket” actually means for how you aim your arm and shoulder.
- Develop strong, responsive, posture that improves your balance and stamina.
- Build a daily personal practice that will serve you in the activities and goals you pursue, be they physical fitness, daily chores, the performing arts, and simply learning how to live in comfort.
The lessons we will use for our study are a series of progressive, targeted lessons that specifically address reaching, lifting, pulling, pushing, spiralling, and bearing weight through the arms and hands. The lessons are gentle and exploratory in nature, and each will use specific constraints to focus and sharpen your self use. Your your whole body is integrated in the process.
New to Awareness Through Movement?
Click here to read the guidelines for getting the most out of your practice.
Using your audio files:
The entire program comes as a single .zip file. The zip file you'll receive is 104mb. Once you've purchased the course, you'll receive an email with a secure link to download the audio.
- Click the link to save it to your computer.
- Double click on the downloaded .zip file to open the mp3 files
- Drag the MP3 files into your favorite audio program (iTunes, etc...)